Patients Age: 69-years-old
Admission Date: 09/23/20
Admitted From: NYU Langone
Discharge Date: 10/10/20
Discharged To: Home
Length of Stay: 19 days
Reason for Stay: Short term rehabilitation
How did this patient hear about Riverside Premier Rehabilitation & Healing Center? Hospital social worker

Details of Experience:
Mr. Brent N. E. suffers from congestive heart failure. In June of 2012, at age 61, he didn’t feel so well after coming home from the movie theater. He decided he would go to bed and everything would hopefully be fine in the morning. After lying in bed, the symptoms kept persisting and he couldn’t bear the pain, so he called 911. The EMS came and took him to the emergency room at St Luke’s. After the team of doctors examined him, it was concluded that he would need quadruple bypass surgery. After the surgery, Brent was in the hospital for three weeks. It was not an easy recovery but he was determined to get through it and be active again!

In April of 2018, Brent suffered another heart attack, and went back to St Luke’s. After the heart attack, they found that two of his arteries were blocked, leading stent placement. After the surgery, he was in the hospital for about a week. That summer, he was on vacation in Crete and began developing symptoms. He went to the hospital, where they were able to stabilize the patient, so that he could return to the states. When Brent returned home, he went to North Shore University hospital. The medical team determined he required mitral valve replacement. When Brent left North Shore, the doctors put him on an IV that he was able to administer on his own. The cardiologist left the picc line in for approximately eighteen months and he contracted an infection. Once he got the infection he was in immense pain. He returned to NYU Langone where they administered an infusion to help alleviate the infection and pain. After being in the hospital for a week Brent had to return to a rehab facility to help him recover.

When it was time for him to be discharged from the hospital and look for a rehab facility, the hospital social worker recommended The Riverside. Brent liked the idea of going to the Riverside because of the proximity to his home. On September 23, 2020, Brent was discharged from the hospital and made his way to The Riverside to start his journey to recovery. When Brent arrived to the community, he was immediately met by a team of doctors. They formulated a plan to help lessen the pain and begin his recovery process. Once the doctors had a plan, Brent was able to start rehab to get stronger and start walking again. Today, he is much stronger than he was when he first arrived at The Riverside and he is able to walk again with a Rollator. Brent attributes his strength and walking abilities to the “great rehab team.” He says he “owes a lot to the excellent team of doctors,” who helped him recover while he was at The Riverside.