Concierge: Moshe Wachs
Patient Age: 82
Admission Date: 10/06/2021
Admitted From: New York Presbyterian Lawrence Hospital
Discharge Date: 11/23/2021
Length of Stay: 6 Weeks
Reason for Stay: Rehabilitation following two falls at home
How did the patient hear about The Enclave at Rye? Physician referral

Details of Experience: 

Frank was admitted to The Enclave at Rye Rehabilitation and Nursing Center on October 6th, 2021, from New York-Presbyterian Hospital. The Enclave at Rye was recommended to Frank as the best place to recover and regain his independence.

Upon arrival, the concierge warmly welcomed Frank, and he was immediately evaluated by the interdisciplinary team, including nursing, rehabilitation, social services, concierge, and recreation departments. Frank and his family spoke with the concierge to find out his likes and dislikes and share any other information that would make his stay more pleasant.

Kristina, Occupational Therapist, and Lauren, Physical Therapist, met with Frank and performed their evaluation. Frank came from the hospital following two falls in which he fractured his sacrum. Due to the pain, Frank needed extensive assistance for all his activities of daily living (ADLs). In addition, Frank required assistance for bed mobility, transferring, and was not ambulatory. The plan was for Frank to return to being independent so that he could return home.

Dr. Abbey and the nursing team kept Frank’s pain under control, using pain medication, as well as ice packs and bio-freeze. The pain management allowed him to participate in all of his therapy sessions. Frank loved Italian food and was always overjoyed when his son brought him pasta, enjoying a nice dinner date together. Frank really enjoyed watching game shows with his new roommate/friend, and it was nice to see a new friendship develop so quickly.

In the gym, Frank took advantage of his time. He would frequent the new step machine, parallel bars, and the Omni- cycle. We loved watching him lifting weights and walking down the hall with his walker.

Six weeks later, with the help from the therapy team, Frank was totally independent with all his ADLs and bed mobility and transfers. He was walking over 175 feet and was even able to climb five stairs. Frank was pleased with his progress and was ready to return home. Before leaving, he exchanged phone numbers with his new friend and hoped for a dinner date together in the near future.

On November 23rd, Frank’s son came to pick him up, and they walked out together smiling! We wish Frank the best of luck back at home!